5 Tips for Adding a Retail Mobile App to Your eCommerce Business
I find some retail mobile apps to be very helpful. I use my favorite app to find current sales and the latest coupons. When I travel, I use it to find the nearest store. Sometimes, I even get coupons that aren’t available on the store’s website, and it links me to the eCommerce store where I can browse, check reviews, or shop. Finally, there are more menu items that I haven’t even explored – I can use these if I want to, but they don’t interfere with what I use most.
There are many great retailers, but not all of them have apps. Even when they’re available, over half the shoppers questioned for the UPS 2016 Pulse of the Online Shopper Study preferred using a retailer’s website over a mobile app. Some of the reasons provided included the lack of a store experience and technology – either it was uncomfortable or too hard to use.
So what makes a mobile retail app useful?
- It’s helpful – Exchange the lack of a store experience for tips or ideas for using your products, but keep this feature simple to use and not overwhelming. Provide product reviews to help shoppers make decisions, and make your contact information easy to find so help is quickly available.
- It’s simple – Provide a menu that is easy to find but not in the way.
- It makes users feel special – Give your app users something extra, such as a coupon that is not on your website, or an extra coupon that is.
- It doesn’t intrude – Give app users control of how and when they want to hear from you through your app, such as notification settings.
- It invites shoppers – Provide a list of store locations, with options to call and get directions. Link to your responsive mobile website for shopping. Allow customers who buy online and pick up in the store to use the app to notify the store when they arrive and avoid longer wait times.
Mobile apps can be worthwhile for some retailers. If you’re considering a mobile app for your business, use these tips to help shoppers comfortably use your app, and interact with your business whenever they can, where ever they are.